Friday, August 15, 2008

The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Nighttime by Mark Haddon

This book was wonderful! I was a little worried when the protagonist found a murdered dog on his neighbor's front lawn on the first page. I've been a little skittish ever since "The Road." But he didn't eat the dog or anything and instead decided to find out who killed the dog and write a murder mystery about it. Oh, and the main character is a young autistic boy with a fascination for numbers and "doing maths." You will fall in love with his way of looking at the world.
I thought Haddon did an amazing job of really helping me think like this little boy. I started looking at my own world differently. When I read the dust jacket I found out he used to work with autistic children it made a lot of sense. He really understood his character on a deep level and let him tell the story in his own words. Really, I don't want to give anything away by going deeper into the plot, but I think all of you would enjoy this one...a lot. One of my favorite books in a long time (along with "The Book of Lost Things.") Very unique, true-to-life, and entertaining. Enjoy!


No comments: